Running a pub and Alcohol licensing

Image result for Running a pub and Alcohol licensing

If you like many people have the dream of running your own pub, may that be an ultra-modern gastro pub, or a cosy inn with a fire burning in the corner, before you picture yourself like many others as being the perfect landlords at the perfect pub, you need to consider the work that will be involved that will get you to that point because running the perfect pub can be time consuming and confusing.

So, before getting to that point, you need to know everything about alcohol licensing and what it means for you. So, that you’re running that pub in no time, Flogas – specialists in gas supply for businesses – take you through what you need to know about this important piece of legislation.


Any kind of business that wants to sell or supply alcohol in England and Wales must have a license, which is authorised by the licensing authority – usually a local council. This Legislation is checked over by the home office, and is defined is as follows:

  1. Businesses that supply and sell alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, need to apply for a premises license.
  2. Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol will need to supply for a personal license, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises.

You will need pay a fee, complete an application form and send it to the local council. As well as the local authority., you will have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities also, these responsible authorities include:

  • The local fire and rescue
  • The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)
  • The environment health authority
  • Planning authority
  • The local trading standards
  • Any other licensing authority in the area part of the premises Is located

The premises licence

This license authorises the use of any premises (defined in the act as a moveable structure, vehicle, vessel) for activities involving the sale of alcohol. To apply for this license, you will be asked a series of questions including the following:

  • General information about the premises, like the address etc
  • Details about you as the applicant
  • The planned operating schedule, including the date you want the license to start on the premises
  • It’s recommended that you indicate what licensable activities you wish to carry out by ticking the appropriate boxes on the form. You shold also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as live music, sporting events and recorded music.
  • Under the new licensing laws, you should also specify who you wish to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS)
  • Opening hours of your premises.
  • Your intensions on promoting the 4 key licensing objectives, which are: public safety, the protection of children from harm, public nuisance, the prevention of crime and disorder.

The personal licences

The general staff in the pub do not require a personal licence, but all pubs do have to have a premises supervisor that holds a personal license.

If you plan on being the owner of the premises licence, then you would also apply to be the personal licence holder if the pub was your own business. Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.

It’s recommended that you take into consideration before applying for this licence that it is to ensure that anyone running or managing a pub should do so in a professional manner.

Now you have this information, you’ve no know everything you need to get you started with your application in the hope that one day you’ll be pouring the pints in your own pub.